Thursday, September 22, 2011

Sister Alex Hartvigsen--Sept 21, 2011


Dear family, This last week has been a really good one.. On Tuesday we met with an investigator with whom we have been meeting for a while. We went with a member. We talked about the importance of the Book of Mormon and how we can gain a testimony for ourselves.Yesterday we were also able to meet with her and we talked to her about the Christlike attribute of Faith. . We then had an appointment with a really cool family. We talked to them about the Restoration and how they can find out for themselves the truth of our message. we talked about recognizing answers to prayers. they have really been prepared to hear our message. They have been meeting with the Jehovah's witnesses for a while but they do not agree with many of their teachings. When we stopped by yesterday there were the Jehovah's witnesses there so we were not able to set up another appointment then but we are going to call them and set one up for this week. On Thursday we were able to have a lesson in a members home with one of our investigator's . We taught the Doctrine of Christ using 2nd Nephi 31. She has been getting some really good fellowship in the wards that she has been attending. On Friday we met with a less active family at the Visitor's Center. We talked about the importance of family. All the family wants their father to attend church with them but he is being stubborn. The wife has asked us to give them the member presentations in hopes of helping her husband feel the Spirit and want to come back to church. We have also been meeting with our members and helping them prepare for the upcoming media initiative. This last week in my personal study I was able to finish the Book of Mormon in Spanish. It has been my goal to do this by my birthday and I was able to do it. This is the 3rd time in my life that I have read it in Spanish but defiantely the shortest time doing it. I love the Book of Mormon! I have gained a stronger testimony of the power of this book and has helped me to know the scriptures better. It has also helped my Spanish improve significantly. My Birthday was really good. We got up and played soccer at 6am as a district. As we were walking out of our apartment we discovered that some other missionaries had decorated the outside of our front door for my birthday. It was fun. after we got ready for the day we went to district meeting. It was a really good meeting and we talked about charity as well as the importance of teaching people not lessons. The spirit was really stong as we talked and learned together. After district meeting we went to the Visitor's center because the Elder and Sister White each month do a birthday lunch/ departure lunch and it just happened to be scheduled on my birthday. It was fun. We went up to Scottsdale and went to the California Pizza Kitchen. After we made it back to the Visitors center I was assigned to make phone calls. I have not had a lot of success of phones recently but as a center we have all been challenged to be more diligent on our phone calls. We always start with a prayer. I prayed that I would be able to talke to at least one person who would accept meeting with missionaries. The very first person I called accepted. It made me really happy. During our dinner break, Sister Beu called me out to the front greet area. There waiting for me was one of my favorite families in our ward. They had brought me tres leches cake. I love this family. They were baptized back in January an are now one of the rocks in our ward. They are so supportive of missionary work. I have really fallen in love with them since I have been here. It was a really good day. On Thursday we were invited to a members home for dinner and to celebrate Mexico's independence day. It was their son's birthday as well. Part of a Mexican birthday involves getting your face smashed into tres leches cake. They did that to their son and then they also did it to me because it was my birthday the day before. ( enjoy the pictures) On Friday we had a mission tour with Elder Choi of the Seventy. we were in meetings with him from 9 am till 4 pm. It was really good. He talked about the importance of building friendships with our members, investigators, companions and especially with the Savior. I was able to learn alot that I am excited to use in my area. As part of the tour, 3 or 4 missionaries were selected to have a personal interview with him. I was on of them. It was really cool. We talked about my family and what my experiences so far as a missionary. He promised that I would be blessed as a result of my mission and that the rest of my family would be blessed as well. I really enjoyed that opportunity to meet with him.
On Saturday we got our transfer news. I'm staying with Sister Beu and we are still in our area. At the end of this next transfer (6weeks) I will have been in this ward for 9 months. I love this ward and the people and I am grateful that I can continue to serve here. Its been a really good week!. I love you all. Thank you so much for all your support.
Love Hermana Hartvigsen

No comments:

Post a Comment